Lapeer District Library

Loading palette preview

921 West Nepessing St. Lapeer, MI 48446 Map

Phone: (810) 664-6971 Fax: (810) 664-5581

Branch History

  • Founded in 1859, the Lapeer Ladies Library Association gathered the community's first collection of books for lending.  The popularity of the collection led the Carnegie Foundation to offer $10,000 to build a public Library in 1916.  In part through the efforts of Congressman Louis Cramton, a larger Carnegie grant was secured in 1921.  The citizens of Lapeer provided the remainder of the funds needed to construct this Georgian Revival building.  Designed by the prominent Detroit firm of Smith, Hinchman, and Grylls, the library opened in 1923.
  • The County Library started in 1939 and separated from the City Library in 1944 though they still occupied the same space.
    The first book mobile was purchased in 1944.
  • In 1948, the first branch of the county library was opened in Gwinn's Hardware Store called a "Booketeria" or "self-serve" library.
  • In 1956, Lapeer County Library moves to Imlay City.  In 1977, a merger is formed between the City and County libraries, with the City Library becoming the main branch.
  • In 1981 it was renamed to honor Newbery Award winning children's author and illustrator Marguerite deAngeli who was born in Lapeer in 1889.
  • In 1984, an addition was added on to the Marguerite deAngeli Library.
  • In January 2003, the Lapeer County Library system underwent a restructuring transition and changed its name to Lapeer District Library.
  • On August 22, 2010, the Marguerite deAngeli Branch was named a Literary Landmark by the Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations, a division of the American Library Association.